The Helsinki Shadow Book Fair is back – already for the tenth time!
Welcome to Rauhanasema (Veturitori 3, Helsinki) on Saturday October 26th and Sunday October 27th where you will find books, discussions, publishing houses, political groups, distros, music, poetry, food and cakes.
The Shadow Book Fair is a well-established annual event in the Helsinki countercultural landscape. It has year after year provided interesting antiauthoritarian perspectives on life and society. The program sheds light on social questions through what is mainly an anarchist, feminist, queer and antifascist lens but we also feature a wide-ranging assortment of topics and social struggles that we find interesting and important. In addition to the book presentations and discussions there will also be some lighter cultural program.
The book fair is an opportunity to get to know what different independent publishing houses, political groups and others tabling at the event have to offer. During the weekend, there will also be a pop up café at Rauhanasema serving sweet and savoury vegan delicacies for a fair price.
Would you like to offer some program or wish to table at the event?
There’s still time, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org whether you’re a publisher or author looking to promote a book, someone interested in holding a discussion, a musician wanting to play or poet offering to read or nothing of the above. We are open to anything having to do with our themes or literature!
The Helsinki Shadow Book Fair is organized by the Shadow Book Fair working group in collaboration with Mustan kanin kolo and Aseistakieltäytyjäliitto.
During weekdays Peace Station hosts a lunch café. Due to their new kitchen, the ramp located on the southern side of the building is not available for use. There are plans of building a new, more accessible ramp to the other side of the building, but at the moment the main hall is not accessible at all. Shadow Book Fair and Peace Union of Finland (the owner of the building) apologise for the inconvenience and the fact that the event will not be accessible.
Hall of Peace Station where program and exhibitors are located is wheelchair accessible when you choose a concrete ramp on the southern side of the building. This concrete ramp is wide and there’s handrails both sides. There are no stairs leading to the unisex toilet rooms but the toilet cabinet doors are not wide enough for wheelchair.
Downstairs sauna room where is food, is possible to enter stairs or on the east side of the building, where is similar concrete ramp than the other but a bit steep and bumpy: we’ll help if needed! On downstairs there’s one unisex toilet that is unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.
If you need assistance or more information, send us email beforehand at varjokirjamessut AT riseup DOT net. We do not have a public phone number available until 25th of October. We will publish the number closer to the event. During the event, you can call us for assistance.
- Don’t assume the ethnicity, culture, sexuality, gender, class, history with violence etc. of others.
- Respect people’s physical and emotional boundaries.
- Get explicit consent before touching someone, but be aware of the relevant power dynamics.
- Respect people’s opinions, beliefs, differing states of being and differing points of view.
- Give space, for example take others into consideration during performances so that everyone can see.
- Be responsible for your own actions. Be aware that your actions have an effect on others, whatever your intentions may be.
- Do not harass others through words, touches, or looks. No means no!
- If you take photos, make sure everybody that is visible in the picture are fine with this.
- In case problems occur, feel free to approach the organizers. Organizers can be found, for example, at the info desk.